The 28th Annual Wolfson Children’s Hospital Benefit Bass Tournament drew 433 entries from all over the South and beyond. Adam Newburn and John Mobley brought the heaviest 5-fish sack back to Palatka, Florida and claimed the $10,000 top spot.
Newburn and Mobley caught 25.33 pounds of St Johns River bass by cycling through time-tested lures and techniques in a variety of spots that have been good to them in the past including shallow grass beds and offshore bars in the main river. Crankbaits and black and blue worms were the most productive lures.
Ryan Crowley and Chris Church placed 2nd with 23.97 pounds. Their bag was anchored by the biggest bass of the tournament at 11.33 pounds. They ran north from Palatka and caught the big fish flipping a black/blue worm.
John Kremer and Travis Kremer were a very close 3rd with 23.57 pounds.
The rest of the Top 10 looked like this:
4) Eric Lewis &Phil Cury 22.84
5) Jeremy Tate & Daniel Hutto 22.69
6) Travis Totman & Robert Willis 21.67
7) Jeremy Wright & Brian Wright 21.39
8) David McIntyre & Michael S. Johnson 21.29
9) Stephen Bishop & Dell Massie 20.77
10) Robert Burton & Joshua Scott 20.70
It took over 20 pounds to place among the top 14 spots.
Fishing is excellent right now on the St Johns River.